SHAKEN, NOT STIRRED: Sails and gearbox were smashed during our voyage from Bergen to Shetland. Halfway into the Norh Sea we had to call it a day and call for help to be able to reach land again. We are now conducting repairs, and we will be ready to set sails again in a very short time.
Out trip to the Shetlands didnt quite work out as plannes. We have spent most of the day today in interviews with radio stations, newspapers and TV. The need for information is evidently very big, and we are therefore posting this article to describe briefly and as accurately as possible what went down during our trip across the North Sea; We set sails from Bergen on Monday afternoon, and expected to be at Shetland no later than Wednesday morning.

The weather was favorable, strong breeze from the south and some sea. According to the weather reports it was supposed to stay like that until Tuseday lunch, and then indrease to a gale, weakening to breeze again in the late evening. Perfect weather for sailing, one should think. But it never happened. On Tuesday we encountered the gale, but it kept increasing during the day, and rose to a full storm in the afternoon, waves reachning 8 metres in height. The sea was roaring, and even large drilling platforms disappeared out of sight for periods of time.But our speed and bearing was impeccable, and we expected a fast journey to Lerwick.

Then the gearbox stopped working. And in the late evening our front sail ripped. Then the main sail was torn completely apart.

BERGEN: We are currently back in Bergen again, and we expect to be staying here until early next week. A very strong gale in the middle of the North Sea ground our ship to a halt. The wind ripped our sails to shreds and our gearbox went heyday, so we eventually had to find our way back to terra firma. But we expect to be back in business in a few days!
Rough ride for S/Y Underveis
Bergen 21.09.2006
We were now a ship without any control or manouverability, and the weather had really started going crazy. At this point it was impossible for us to mend sails or gearbox, we had our hands full just holding tight. We decided to close all hatches, turn on the radar and collision alarm, and just start drifting for a few hours, until the weather calmed and daylight would give us the possibility of appreciating the damage we had sustained to our ship. We woke up by a radio call from a guard vessel, warning us that we were on collision course with a seismic vessel. We realized that we had become a threat to other ships and oil installations, and decided to call for assistance to help us reach land.
CHAOTIC: With waves from 5 to 8 metres high, most things on board are thrown around. Here from a relatively calm moment after the rescue vessel has started towing us. Check out the angle on the towel!
A rescue vessel sailed out from Bergen to assist us, and as we speak we are repairing the ship and we expect to be ready to set sails again sometime next week. So to all our friends following us on our journey: Keep reading, keep reading! We are still on our way around the world, just slikghtly delayed.
About us
Other media about us
The boat
Contact us
The project
Travel plan